[Digikam-devel] People tagging design

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Sat May 22 13:32:54 BST 2010

> Is the dedicated icon view the separate tab that Michael was talking about
> earlier? As an addition to that you should be able to drag and drop tagged
> face/name from icon view to a tagged region in an image.

I'm thinking of a tab on the left hand side listing faces/people, in the
middle area an icon view showing faces for approval. This is for the process
of face-tagging so far.

> After recognition and detection how are tags/regions displayed in a photo?
> Are the actual tags (Bob, Alice, unknown) only displayed in photo/icon
> view/both?

I'd suggest displaying (approved) tags in the icon view as today, for the
picture as a whole, and the regions only in the preview. Drawing the regions
already over the thumbnails in the icon view would be possible, but there are
questions about performance and UI clutter.

> Also I guess no meta data will be written until tag is approved, as you
> don;t want to be re writing tag every time something changes. Which means
> that there needs to be some temporary tag save location in digikam. Is
> that going to fit in the new config table in database?

Good point. I think yes, it fits - in fact we could not even do a real tag
assignment at all (in the ImageTags table), but only record the assignment in
the ImageTagProperties table.

Marcel