[Digikam-devel] People tagging design

Aditya Bhatt adityabhatt1991 at gmail.com
Fri May 21 22:17:46 BST 2010

Hi everyone,

Since I'm ready to start digiKam+libface integration, I need to discuss how
the face detection+recognition GUI is to be done in digiKam.

*Detection*:
I'm tweaking the peopletag project at the moment. It draws it's own
backgound picture and it is possible to draw and move around rectangles on
it. I'm completely trashing the nepomuk code from this widget.
iPhoto does it like this :
http://www.popgadget.net/images/iphoto_1_blurred.jpg . Unrecognized faces
are tagged with "unknown".

Question: digiKam draws it's own preview. Would it be possible to have a
widget in digiKam that draws the little tag boxes over this preview widget?
I don't find the idea of opening a separate window for region tagging very
appealing.

*Recognition:*
Here's how iPhoto does it: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3427
I don't think this should be much of an issue, both iPhoto and Picasa do it
(almost) this way.
In Picasa, you can identify unnamed people this way :
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3442/3947433848_e32996d70b.jpg
And you can vote yes/no this way :
http://andywolf.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/PicasaFaceFinder.png
(All revealed by google search)
Note the people list in the left pane.

I think recognition should be implemented as shown above. I find it perfect.
And I think we should also have a people list on the left, like in picasa.

As for detection, I'm waiting for advice. By the way, the face detection in
F-Spot (never implemented, incomplete GSoC project) seems to have coded the
region tagging directly into the main photo viewer widget (as gleaned from
the student's blog). Should I do that?

Cheers
--
Aditya Bhatt