[Digikam-devel] New UI mockup on KDE brainstorms

Aditya Bhatt adityabhatt1991 at gmail.com
Fri May 21 20:09:12 BST 2010

This is how it looks in digiKam :
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/5383/digikamsnap.png , when I disable the
showing of rating and dates. A lot of space is empty. Also I don't really
enjoy that thick black border that appears on mouseover. Or that is also
seen without mouseover in other themes.

Personally, I like how Gwenview does it :
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/7859/gwenviewsnap.png In the vertical
photos, the mouseover buttons appear over the image.

Just my 2 cents.

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 5:09 PM, Risto Saukonpää <paristo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 18 May 2010 09:35:03 Julien Narboux wrote:
> > This would remove the need for these labels, we would only need a way
> > to say that the system is still busy loading the full size preview.
>
> I think best would be some simple and clean way to notify the user that
> the preview is simple one. And then offer in one click to load the full
> size preview. I would not place the preview to be automatic in background
> because we have situations like:
>
> 1. Laptops running on battery. Generating full size preview takes lots of
> CPU.
>
> 2. There would need to be a loading animation what would give many a
> exception to wait something to happend or feel that digiKam is slow. And
> when suddenly the preview gets changed, it can feel somekind magic.
>
> > What IMHO would be also nice to have in the thumbnail view is a
> > reduction  of the empty space.
>
> Those should take only in place when user has configured the UI to be
> without tags, comments, rating or file name. I had a understanding from
> your idea that the space would be generated automatically. Like if the row
> has no tags, then that row is closer to other rows, what might have tags?
>
> In that case (if I did not misunderstand) the UI would look very weird.
> Some photos would have big space around them and some would not. The
> thumbnailview would look more like loose post stamp book than photo album.
>
> The one great usability effect the current grid layout is that is all the
> times same size and eyes has easy to follow the thumbnails when there is
> not different spaces.
>
> > -4- maybe the mouseover buttons to rotate and select and give stars
> > could be above the thumbnail.
> Rotate and select should be above thumbnail. But rating should be under.
> Example in touchscreens, you can rotate and select without seeing the
> thumbnail. But rating can change even then when just placing rating. And
> it is normal to see what you point. On rotating you already have made the
>
> > -5- the size of the thumbnails could be ajusted such that it divides the
> > width of the thumbview, the selector for thumbnail size would be changed
> > to a selector for the number of thumbnail per row.
>
> That could be nice thing. It just would fix the problem with the right
> side what can leave bigger space if there is just not space for a
> thumbnail. But it is depending the size of the sidepanel.
>
> And that might depend lots of the thumbnail resizing functions. Would the
> thumbnails be needed to be generated again if scaling the sidepanel or
> hiding/showing it?

Aditya Bhatt
Blog : http://adityabhatt.wordpress.com
Bitbucket: http://bitbucket.org/aditya_bhatt