[Digikam-devel] libface under GPLv3

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Fri May 21 18:22:48 BST 2010

> Hi Marcel,
>
> Personally I don't really care much about what my code is licensed as, so
> I'm okay with any license. Is GPLv2 okay? I'm quite fine with BSD too.
>
> What do you say, Alex? What license should we switch libface to?

It's only a detail but it can be important: You currently license under "GPLv3
or any later version". For KDE, the proposed solution is "GPL version 2 or
version 3 or later versions approved by the membership of KDE e.V."
Of course,  "GPL version 2 or version 3 or any later version" would be all
right as well.
It's just accepting GPLv2 as an alternative.

Why all this? Digikam is "GPLv2 or later". As soon as we link a GPLv3-only
library, to do this legally the whole product must implicitly be licensed as
GPLv3. That is OK because of the "or later" clause. But, as soon as there is
any library anywhere in the stack licensed as "GPLv2 only", this doesn't work,
and we can use only the GPLv3-only library, or only the GPLv2-only library.

Marcel