[Digikam-devel] Please tell me how to compile digikam

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Mon May 17 00:01:26 BST 2010

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 19:34, Simon A. Eugster <simon.eu at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16.05.2010 19:03, Jens Müller wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, 16. Mai 2010, um 12:25:41 schrieb
> digikam-devel-request at kde.org:
> >> Ah, thanks a lot.
> >> Compiling and installing works, but digikam isn't displaying any
> >>
> >> image. Debug output says:
> io-slave:
> >>
> >> What is the problem here?
> >>

> >> Some change suggestions to the tutorial:
> >> # svn checkout svn://dev.exiv2.org/svn/trunk
> >> # mv trunk exiv2
> >> # svn checkout svn://dev.exiv2.org/svn/trunk exiv2
> >>

> >> # sudo make install
> >> # sudo make install -j3    # Make with 3 threads; best: # of cores + 1
> >>
> >> Patch CMakeLists.txt to be able to build standalone. Download appended
> >> patch and place it in your development folder.
> >> # patch<  ../libkexiv2cmake.diff.txt
> >> Patch CMakeLists.txt to be able to build standalone. Download appended
> >> patch and place it in your development folder:
> >> # wget
> http://www.digikam.org/drupal/system/files/libkexiv2cmake.diff_.txt
> >> -O ../libkexiv2cmake.diff.txt
> >> # patch<  ../libkexiv2cmake.diff.txt
> >>
> >> # chmod 744 env_svn.sh
> >> # chmod u+x env_svn.sh
> >>

> >> Simon
> >
> > Thanks Simon for your comments, I will bring them in the howto.
> >
> > As you have problems with digikam ioslaves: Do you own a 32bit or a 65bit
> > system? In the later case you have to modify the paths in the little
> script.
> > Do you install under /usr/local as the tutorial suggested or in /usr ?
>
> Thanks for your answer! I'm on a 64bit system, indeed. Which paths do I
> have to adjust?
>
> And yes,  I've installed everything to /usr/local, not to /usr.
>
> Simon

I have the same problem. I just compiled under Fedora 13 64bit following the
"svnAlongStable" method, the kio_digikamalbums.so is located
in /usr/local/lib64/kde4/ so I've changed the path in the script accordingly
- export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$DIGIKAMDEST/lib64/kde4:$DIGIKAMDEST/lib64:$DIGIKAMDEST/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
- same with LDPATH. But I'm still getting the same error - digikam(16815):
couldn't create slave: "Není možné vytvořit io-slave: klauncher hlásí: Chyba
při nahrávání 'kio_digikamdates'.

Also compiling this on Fedora is harder than I'd thought. libkexiv2 had some
building issues, which I managed to resolve. DigiKam also had some build &&
linker issues. I don't know why, but cmake picked the right libkexiv2 and
libkdcraw libs in /usr/local, but during make, it was using the distribution
ones. Same with include dirs. I don't know cmake too well, so after trying
to set few parameters I ended up moving the system include files to some
other place. Then I just run make again and it picked up the right includes.
Same with libs. Maybe this is 64bit system related...I don't know. What may
be the issue here?

Later I might also send the steps needed to build digiKam on Fedora,
including needed packages, if it would be wanted for the howto.

Marty