[Digikam-devel] Exif auto-rotation not working anymore

Andreas Huggel ahuggel at gmx.net
Tue May 11 03:24:45 BST 2010

>> I just updated my digikam installation the first time since a few weeks
>> and now the auto-rotation of images by exif tag seems is broken (jpg and
>> orf). Can anyone confirm this?
>>
>> I get a lot of these messages on the console now:
>
> I have a good candidate why this is broken:
>
> KExiv2Iface::KExiv2Priv::printExiv2ExceptionError: Cannot parse Exif
> Orientation tag using Exiv2   (Error # 6 :  Ungültiger Schlüssel
> "Exif.Sony1Cs.Rotation"
>
> Exif.Sony2Cs.Rotation is a makernote tag checked as one of the first tags in
> KExiv2::getImageOrientation(). Obviously exiv2 decides to throw an exception
> from there, which means getImageOrientation will never succeed.
>
> Proposed solution: exiv2 should not throw an exception for a key which it
> previously accepted.

Agree that changes to Exiv2 keys must be done with care, like API
changes, i.e., avoid if possible and document clearly if necessary.

Not throwing an exception for unknown keys (or even only previously
known keys) IMO doesn't solve the problem in general, but would make
it more difficult to find.

The recent Sony Makernote updates did introduce several changes to
existing Sony keys.

Andreas