[Digikam-devel] libkexiv2 interface

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Mon May 10 17:50:06 BST 2010

> Gilles, your message is not fully clear to me. I'm mainly speaking of that
> methods:
>
> - getExifTagRational
> - setExifTagRational
> - getExifTagLong
> - setExifTagLong
>
> Do you want to remove them and provide only variant-type-methods? I don't
> think that this will be good, because the above ones are easier to use and
> the rational method provide real fractions. I only noted that last three
> ones are not capable of indexes. For beta1 we have to hurry up, but that
> topic is not needed to be done in 4.5. So we also can take some time and
> reach a consensus how this api should look like.
>
> I'm not right shure about API and ABI compability. Would adding a default
> parameter a problem or not?

You must keep the signatures as they are currently (default argument or not
does not matter). But you can add methods, you can also add methods with the
same name but different signature.

For if there is
void foo(A a, B b, C c=C())
you can keep it and add
void foo(A a, B b, D d=D(), C c=C())

In the implementation, of course, you implement the first one by calling the
second one.