[Digikam-devel] GSoC - digiKam Face Recognition Proposal

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Mon Mar 22 20:42:02 GMT 2010

> -------------------------------------
> Implementation
> -------------------------------------
>
> Our interface for libface is almost ready, and from what I learned from
> Marcel, requires a minimal amount of polishing, related to accepting image
> data. The face detection part works pretty good now.

Mention on what test data this is based?

> I intend to implement
> a face tagging widget, and the requirement to port some features from the
> Qt3 support classes to Qt4 might also arise.

Make clear you're talking about digikam code here.
(This refers to the current preview widget in digikam. We are (I am) unsure at
the moment about it's technological future, but that's not your problem for
this proposal.)

> I'll learn from the digiKam
> core devs and mentor about how to play with image metadata in the summer,
> and how tags are organised in digiKam. Meanwhile, I'll keep working on
> libface to make the biometric part better and better, as that is something
> that can always have scope of improvement.

There was talk about a Eigen/Fisherfaces and GSL library integration? If
that's going to be a major chunk of work, mention it.

You can also mention Nepomuk here, at least as possible integration. PIMO is
the relevant ontology:
http://dev.nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/wiki/PimoOntology