[Digikam-devel] Image history in metadata

Andreas Huggel ahuggel at gmx.net
Sun Jun 13 09:42:51 BST 2010

Hi Marcel,

Technically, I think storing an XML structure in an XMP text field is
not a problem, if you don't mind the overhead: First, parse the XMP
with exiv2 (which uses the expat XML parser), then separately parse
the embedded XML text (potentially using another XML parser).

Alternatively, you can look at specifying the image editing history
"language" directly in XMP as you said, either within the digiKam
schema or in a new schema for this purpose. XMP allows for more than
the common basic types; it also supports things like structures,
qualifiers and nested types. See here for some examples in an exiv2
context and to get an idea: http://www.exiv2.org/example5.html and the
XMP specifications for details: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/xmp/. Of
the two options, I would prefer this one.

Andreas