[Digikam-devel] Image history in metadata

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Fri Jun 11 17:57:09 BST 2010

> You said that image history will be a QString. I think that we wil
> format XML data directly in digiKam. It's definitively a wrong way.
> You must delegate this point to libkexiv2/Exiv2
>
> Indeep, in digiKam core, the image history will be something like a
> QMap container, used to discribe :
>
> - the image revision.
> - the tool used to change image.
> - the tool settings.

We are indeed using XML formatted directly in digikam. The purpose of this XML
creation is not primarly for storing this in the metadata, but rather as a
specified format that can describe the changes, slightly inspired by
OpenRaster's XML. We can add attributes to all nodes and extend it in the
future.
The XML will also be used in other places, and it's a bit more complex than a
simple map, which would be too limiting. We will also store the XML in the
database.

So far I did not think about the implication that XMP is also based on XML,
and we now have the purpose of storing XML in XML. Hm.
So we either really store it as a string, or we try to integrate it into XMP.
Is XMP flexible enough to carry a custom chunk of xml?

Marcel