[Digikam-devel] Threading for face detection

Michael G. Hansen mike at mghansen.de
Wed Jul 21 21:31:25 BST 2010

On 07/21/2010 06:18 PM, Aditya Bhatt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had some small fragmented discussions with Gilles, and Johannes about
> using OpenMP to speed up the batch face detection.
> Here is part of the conversation I just had:

Qt provides Qt Concurrent for thread management. You can give it a
function and a list of items to process, and it processes them based on
the number of cores in your system. I couldn't yet find a way to run
these processes at lower priority though. I am using this in GPSSync.

KDE itself provides ThreadWeaver, which IIRC provides more fine grained
control over resource usage. For example, you can say that you want only
one process at a time reading data from the hard disk, but that for
processing of in-memory data as many processes as cores would be better.
I have not used ThreadWeaver yet.

Michael