[Digikam-devel] Integration of libkmap in digiKam 2.0

Gabriel Voicu ping.gabi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 11:25:26 BST 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2010/7/13 Gabriel Voicu <ping.gabi at gmail.com>:
> >

> > On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Gilles Caulier <
> caulier.gilles at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Gabriel,
> >>
> >> I already managed libkmap depency in digiKam 2.0. It's already need to
> >> install libkmap to compile fine digiKam 2.0.
> >>
> > Ok, thank you!
> >

> >> One question : you ask about to replace icon view by map. Are you sure
> >> ? Do mean current geolocation views instead (from left and right
> >> sidebar) ?
> >>
> > No, not a replacement. It would be an alternative to the icon-view
> display.
> > For example, instead of showing photos as icons in the icon-view, it will
> > display them directly on the map (the map will be in the center of the
> > application). There will be a ComboBox on the status bar, where the user
> > will select if he wants the icon view or the map view. The sidebar maps
> will
> > be untouched. This idea was proposed by Marcel when I wrote my GSoC
> > application.
> >
> > If I didn't make myself clear, please let me know and I will explain
> again.
>
> no it's clear.
>
> But what happen about geolocation from right sidebar. Currently, this
> depand of marblewidget. using libkmap, this depency to digiKam can be
> removed, as libkmap already use marblewidget.

And about geolocation search from left sidebar. It's the same depency.

> Yes, I think that these dependencies can be removed and replaces with
libkmap, but I don't know if I will have time for this during GSoC period,
because I still have many things to do and a strict schedule.

> Your new map mode in the middle view will not be redondant with
> geolocation tab from right sidebar. I'm a little bit confused there.
>
> Well, using the map in center has some advantages: first of all, it shows
all the photos from a selected album directly on the map (in the right tab,
are displayed only selected photos). In future, maybe we can extend the
libkmap code to show the selected photos al large thumbnails and the
unselected photos as small thumbnails. Also, the user will have the
possibility to close the right and left side-bar and have more space to
observe his photos and make operations directly on the map (specially
netbook users, because they already have little display space).

About removing the geolocation tool from left/right sidebar, this is your
call, I really don't know what to say about this.

Gabriel Voicu