[Digikam-devel] Overlay buttons in preview mode and text label

Julien Narboux jnarboux at narboux.fr
Sat Jan 30 08:36:57 GMT 2010

Andi,

Yes there were a wish about panning using left mouse bouton -> which
implies that left mouse button can not be used to go out from preview
mode. I think this is the reason why Gilles added this small toolbar. I
agree with you previous/next are not very usefull. I don't think we
really need rotation icons either, having them on the thumbnails is
enough IMHO.
The button to go out from preview mode is useful, but maybe we could use
double click instead ?

I think the overlay text  label clarify things. It is a good temporary
solution, the best solution would be that preview  first loads a reduced
size preview and then loads in the background the full image. Some other
photo management software do it like that. They even first load just  an
upscaled version of the thumbnail, then a preview, then the full image.

By the way I don't think panning is the most important thing, maybe we
could think about the ui/keys again before 1.1.0.
For example having the possibility to go next previous using
mousewheel/arrows keys would be nice as well.

Maybe there could be several options, here are a few possibilities (we
should add too many options):

A- When in thumbnail view
- double click ?
  1 open in editor
  2 open in preview
- simple click ?
 1 open in editor
 2 open in preview
B- When in preview mode
- double click ?
 1 open in editor
 2 go out from preview mode
 3 zoom to 100%/ zoom to fit
- simple click ?
 1 panning
 2 go out from preview mode
- mousewheel ?
 1 next- previous
 2 panning
 3 zoom in / out
- arrow keys
 1 next-previous
 2 panning

Another point related to this:
Qt 4.6 now supports multi touch. Does anyone has a linux device with
supports multitouch ?

Julien