[Digikam-devel] A lot of crashes

Johannes Wienke languitar at semipol.de
Sat Feb 20 14:20:08 GMT 2010

Am 20.02.2010 15:09 schrieb Andi Clemens:
> I have to do a lot of image processing / managing at work and decided to start
> digiKam (of course :-)), although we are a "Windows" company. Anyway, at the
> moment I do all the work on my laptop and recognized a lot of errors in
> digiKam:
>
> 1. It crashes on every third or so edit

Hm, can't confirm this. Edited a lot of images in the last days and
didn't have a problem. Backtrace?

> 3. Moving tags around erases "tag count numbers", you know the numbers beside
> the tag name in TagFolderView

Hm yes, may be true. This pure asynchronous computing of the counts is
not a good idea. This is some modeling problem at the bottom of the model.

Marcel, can we use a different item role for each entry in a tree view?
Maybe we can then have one role for the including count and one for the
excluding count, only switching between these roles. This could easen
computing these counts and would also remove the strange model problem
with the search text bar.

> 4. Sometimes AdvancedSearch doesn't open, digiKam starts eaten up a lot of CPU
> and crashes

Backtrace? ;)

> 5. Most input widgets behave strange (Qt4.6 or KDE 4.4 related?)
> For example I enter text in a combobox, the text "jumps around" and often even
> erases what I just typed in

Yes, also noticed this since the upgrade to KDE 4.4 / Qt 4.6. Also the
number input slider does really strange things. sometimes you only see a
black bar below the slider where you normally would see the "ticks". The
resolution seems to be completely wrong.

> Maybe this is all related to KDE4.4 and Qt4.6, but still I wonder what makes
> digiKam so unstable at the moment?
> I am not able to follow the digikam mails at the moment, so maybe I missed
> something? Have we already moved to MySQL or something like that?

No.

> Is it due to the modelview port?

Should be visible in the backtraces, but eg. for editing there is
nothing changed with the porting.

> Anyone expierences these errors, too?

Not the crashes ;)

Johannes