[Digikam-devel] database migration problem? no pictures shown

Klaus Weidenbach Klaus.Weidenbach at gmx.net
Sat Feb 13 13:14:13 GMT 2010

Hello,

I am a long time digiKam user and try to move my quite big digiKam(0.9.6) KDE3
picture database to my new PC with KDE4. This is already the third evening I
try to get it working, but without luck yet. Hope someone could point me to
the right direction how to do it.

I have plain KDE 4.3.4 from my distribution (Slackware64-current). I compiled
some missing programs myself like opencv, lensfun. Then I compiled kipi-
plugins 1.1.0 and digiKam 1.1.0 from sources and installed them into the same
root as KDE.

The wizard discovered everything correctly and imported my old digikam3.db and
everything looked fine. All tags and albums are there, but digiKam does not
show any pictures. If I take a look into digikam4.db everything seems to be
there still. Well video and sound files are shown in digiKam and even the
right tags are assigned. Album icons are also shown correctly with the images
I assigned to them. When I use Tools-->Rebuild Thumbnails... I see how the
thumbnails are created, but still nothing is displayed inside digiKam. I have
already tried compiling without marble, disabling thumbs-db and other things
that I have found in other threads here with problems that images are not
shown, even rebooted the computer, but still no luck. On the console there
seems to be also nothing suspicious.
Well, digiKam also seems to work, because if I import new pictures they are
shown.

When I go to Help-->Database Statistics it just shows the videos, sounds,
albums and tags, but no images at all. So is this a database migration
problem, or still something else I have missed?

Thank you very much!

With kind regards,
Klaus