[Digikam-devel] Proposed improvements to make compiling readme file more user-friendly

Fadi Racy hello.fadi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 19:58:16 GMT 2010

Thank you for making this amazing suite!!!! There is nothing like it in
linux and it actually makes KDE useable for photo professionals and
enthusiasts.

I'll start off with the disclaimer that I am complete neophyte and have just
spent hours in order to compile version 1.1 (yes, I was very motivated to
have version 1.1 and wanted to demystify compiling for myself). I just
wanted to put on the list-serv my experiences as newbie for the benefit of
other beginners. I also hope that the developers can take these observations
that may not come to the mind of the more experienced and use them to
improve the compiling instructions in the readme file.

*Before we begin, I just want to point the developers to a small error in
the source code which stopped it from compiling for me:*

in the file editorwindow.h, it points the document previewtoolbar.h (
#include "previewtoolbar.h" ) but previewtoolbar.h is not included in the
same directory as editorwindow.h and was thus not found by the compiler
(this is solved by puting a copy of previewtoolbar.h in the same directory
as editorwindow.h)

*==================
Observations:
=======*

First thing that wasn't clear to me, due to lack of experience, was that
when dependencies were listed in the readme file, it's not enough to put the
main libraries for compilation. You need to add the develloper libraries as
well (for example libkipi and libkipi-dev).
================

Second, I also kept getting an error in cmake that *FindKDE4Internal.cmake *was
missing. After scouring the web forums, I was able to install a package that
informs you what application/libraries are files such as
*FindKDE4Internal.cmake
*part of:

# sudo apt-get install apt-file
# apt-file search *FindKDE4Internal.cmake
*
which told me that I was missing *kdelibs5-dev *(maybe this library should
be added to list of dependencies)

Finally, the readme file is missing the line:
# make install
after the "# make" line. This, again, is not obvious to newbies.

Well, I thank you all very much for your work and keep up this wonderful
development.

Fadi