[Digikam-devel] git branch naming

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Sat Dec 25 18:24:38 GMT 2010

Hi,

in SVN, branches were at time copied or merged to trunk, and then deleted.
With git, it's different: git branch will always show all branches that
existed in history. That is somewhat natural, because a good part of our
development history happened in those branches. But I would suggest to give
the branches a unified naming: A name of the branch is the release that
resulted from the branch.
So this would map "SVN branch name" -> "git branch name":

gsoc-2010	-> 2.0
1.0-databaseext -> 1.3
modelviewport -> 1.2
db-consolidation -> 0.10
0.8-experimental -> 0.8
stable-0.8 -> 0.8.x

For kipi-plugins and libkdcraw we can have a "2.0" branch, for libkexiv2
"1.2".

Any viewpoints?

Marcel