[Digikam-devel] git migration: progress and problems

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Sun Dec 19 16:43:30 GMT 2010

Hi all,

some status update:
The sysadmins have set up a repository for digikam, but strongly objected the
idea to put everything in one repository. With git, it is obviously
recommended to keep repositories small and agile, with only strongly coupled
code in one repository. It's also a problem for ReviewBoard and
projects.kde.org to have all in one big repo. It was made pretty clear that
all in one is a no-go.

For us, this amounts to a split in 7 repos:
- digikam
- kipi-plugins
- libkdcraw
- libkexiv2
- libkipi
- libkmap
- libkface

It is, however, easily possible to set up a small repository as "superproject"
which has exactly the same layout as current branch. We need to add the other
repos as git submodules.
This means in practice, there shouldnt be much difference to the original
plan.

There another caveat: When we migrate, we must migrate all branches. There's
no continuing one branch in SVN and the other in git. It seems though that the
migration gains momentum anyway, with kdelibs converting soon.

The next step will be to contact kdegraphics maintainers about the
kdegraphics/libs migration, which we'd do for them.

Marcel