[Digikam-devel] Re: file hash creation: asking for short test

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Fri Dec 10 16:00:13 GMT 2010

> andreas at mowgli:~/src/exiv2/trunk/src/tmp$ diff d1.jpg d2.jpg
> andreas at mowgli:~/src/exiv2/trunk/src/tmp$ diff e1.jpg e2.jpg
> andreas at mowgli:~/src/exiv2/trunk/src/tmp$ ~/src/testhash/testhash .
> Scanned "." , 4 files and 0 subdirectories
> Directory scanning and hash generation took 1.5 ms/file
> Success: All 4 files have a different hash.

If the files are fully identical (MD5 over whole file is the same), then it's
all right. You will only get a failure if the full files are not identical,
but the hash is.
(I indeed have one example here, two PNG files where the full MD5 is not
identical, but the files look in fact pixel-by-pixel identical and are derived
from the same picture)