[Digikam-devel] Switch to central map view

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 23:59:21 BST 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 19:26, Gabriel Voicu <ping.gabi at gmail.com> wrote:

> - Leave the switch between icon-view and preview-view as it is now and make
> the switch to map view to be a checkable tool button. When the button is
> checked, the map-view appears. When it is unchecked, the last view
> activates. This looks more clean and intuitive to me, because when the user
> will want to see photos on central map, he will just click that button. When
> he will want to go back to icon-view/preview-view he will uncheck it.

I would personally go with this one. Something like the current 'View'
button. If you press that, it'll take you to big image view. So I'd place a
button 'Map view' next to it (between the View and Edit) and this would work
just as the 'View' or 'Edit' button. When you 'check' the button, the
view/edit is on, when you uncheck it, you're back to icon view. That way
seems the best for me as it keeps the UI flow consistent.

Also, about the image groupping - it would be awesome if the group could
ungroup on a click instead of just change the image. Something like Google
Earth does. If you click the group, it is expanded in a way that it is
divided to smaller groups (if there is enough images, otherwise it's just
pictures itselves) placed around the original group position and all is
still connected with the original center point and it creates sort of a web.
And the expansion/collapsion is fully animated. See Google Earth for seeing
it in action ;)

Marty