[Digikam-devel] How to mark image versioning in main album view?

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 08:54:19 BST 2010

Hi all,

Me and Marcel are now thinking about how to let the user know, that he has
several other versions of the same image present - in the album view. We're
not quite sure what would be the best for the user, so we're asking for your
opinions.

Now there is a little icon (22x22) painted over the thumbnail's bottom-right
corner with svn_switch KIcon. I personally dislike this icon, but it's the
best suited in Oxygen theme.

Next proposal puts the versions on a pile - the top one is just like it is
now, but below it there are other images slightly rotated, just like a pile
of photos. With this is related another suggestion, instead of the
randomly-like-rotated-pile-of-images, there are just blank rectangles
painted behind the main thumnbail, each one slightly moved to top-left, so
this looks like an ordered pile. But these two may be too confusing for the
user as the first impression could be that it is an album or something
(which it kind of is, but...).

Next proposal is just a small emblem with either ">>" or "v" in it, to
indicate, that there are more versions of the same image.

And the last, show nothing at all. There is a sidebar for image versions
where all the versions will be displayed all the time, so the indication in
album view could be just left out.

Please, what do you think? Let us hear your opinions and ideas :)

Martin & Marcel