[Digikam-devel] Ovi Maps

Mikolaj Machowski mikmach at wp.pl
Tue Sep 15 18:24:16 BST 2009

Hello,

Few days ago I sent application for developers program for Ovi Maps, got
accepted, got link to Ovi Maps SDK.

Played with it for few minutes. My main objection was testing if features
needed for digiKam (quite simple as maps are going) are working in KHTML.

Yes, basic Ovi maps are working with KHTML. I found them visually more
pleasant than Google maps (and Open Street Maps also). Number of details is
comparable with Google maps and in touristic areas there are even more items.

Drawbacks:
- satellite view isn't working
- could tested only in Poland but maps are a bit outdated (while Google maps
satellite images are several years old - in some areas I could verify even 5-6
years, map view there is up to date).

My opinion: interesting option but until it is out of beta stage (API, terms
of use) it is better to wait.

m.