[Digikam-devel] Crop in IE

Andi Clemens andi.clemens at gmx.net
Wed May 20 11:44:14 BST 2009

Sure, I was not going to simply remove things :D
Users have to be asked. BUT: I really don't think the normal crop is really
useful.
digiKam is for photos, and photos have some defined dimension.
When I sent them to a print service, I need them either to be 3:2 or 4:3.
Sure I can have 1:1 or some manual ratio, but this is rather uncommon.

Also I'm pretty sure new users will not understand why Crop is disabled. You
get no feedback from the mouse cursor when hovering over an image, so they
might never new that you can select a region in the editor.
My cousin has used digiKam once and she also tried to crop something, but it
was disabled. I didn't help her because I wanted to see what she will do now.
After cursing (:-)) she finally used the ratio crop tool and was quite happy.
She never touched the normal crop again and I think she still doesn't know
that you can select a region.

This is a major problem. We need either change the cursor to some crosshair
pointer, or we need to always enable the crop action, but give a warning, like
in the red eye tool.

But I still think this action is totally useless (never thought I would say
this about a digiKam feature, but it is actually true).
Also the selection widget is much better in RatioCrop...

So what to do? We could run a poll on the digiKam website (and write a mail to
the users ML), but this wouldn't reach all users for sure.

Andi