[Digikam-devel] Crop in IE

Andi Clemens andi.clemens at gmx.net
Wed May 20 08:42:50 BST 2009

Hi,

I just asked myself if we really need the normal crop method?
I was at my uncle's birthday last week and I already evangelized him to use
digiKam :-)
When he is cropping images, he ALWAYS uses the RatioCropTool, even when he is
doing a manual selection with no ratio at all.
He has given me two reasons:

1. He is not able to drag the normal selection like in the RatioCropTool
2. He likes to see the Rule-of-Thirds

He also said that it is somehow confusing to have two crop methods, especially
when you use IE for the first time. The action is always disabled (sure) and
you need to do a selection first (which is not that obvious).

So my proposal would be to remove the normal crop action and rename the
ratiocrop. I have never seen any other application that provides two or more
crop actions / tools, it is always put together into one tool.

What do you think?

Andi