[Digikam-devel] 2009 introspective

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Tue May 5 14:12:12 BST 2009

2009/5/4 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>:
> Hi...

Hi Aaron.

> I'm putting together a "where are we now, where are we going" snapshot of as
> many of the "big pieces" in KDE 4 as possible, and I'd like some input from
> you on DigiKam.
>
> In particular, what I'm looking for are 2-4 bullet items for each of these two
> questions:
>
> * What have been the defining achievements in the last year?

The KDE4/QT4 port of course + a lots of new features  (:=)))

If you want a list of new features, a resume can be found with 0.10.0 announce :

http://www.digikam.org/node/434

This includes development started since summer 2007 to March 2009 !

> * What are the main focus points and or goals for the project in 2009?

Next release will be 0.11.0, or perhaps 1.0 i don't know yet, this
depend of progress...

In this new release, a tool named Batch Queue Manager have been
implemented (trunk code):

http://www.digikam.org/node/427

This one is very important too and progress quickly :

http://www.digikam.org/node/439

In digiKam 0.10.0, not all code have been ported to Qt4 model/view. It
still few classes, as icon-view, folder-view, preview, and thumb-bar.
For 2 first ones, Marcel working on currently. It's a big job, because
it include a lots a features and regression tests. Also, this open to
includes new wish from users and close a lots of bugzilla entries.

A new first run assistant have been added recently to help new users
to setup digiKam :

http://www.digikam.org/node/442

Personnaly, i always work to improve digiKam under windows. I still 2
important bugs to solves, before to said that digiKam for Windows work
exactly as under Linux. I'm also played with last M$ compiler (pro
version) to be sure that all compile and run fine everywhere (i use a
dedicated computer at home only for that)

Andi as improved and factorized code of contextual menu everywhere.
Also Free rotation tool usability have been reviewed and improved a
lots.

We have a new developer named Matthias who start to make big patch for
digiKam, especially to improved Lens Autocorrection plugin and add new
batch tool to BQM.

> If you're feeling extra helpful, you might want to also provide some input on:
>
> * What are the major pain points in your project right now?

- Complete QT4 model port definitely. This is the priority.

> * Outside of the core libs (kdecore, kdeui, kio, kfile) what are the most
> critical pieces of KDE technologies that your project is relying on?

Ah.... 2 ones : Marble and Phonon.

We wait 2 important features :

- Marble : to be able to display region selection over a map : we can
already make a selection and saved it to digiKam DB to perform a
search, but later marble is not yet able to display this region over
the map... it's an important usability details

- KDELibs/Phonon, is not yet able to render preview of videos. It a
huge regression compared to KDE3. A lots of users wait for that.We
know some hack and unofficial solution to wrap around but it's really
time to have a real solution in kdelibs.

Note : We plan to do another Coding Sprint this year, as in 2008 :

http://www.digikam.org/drupal/374

Same place : Genoa.
Date : September/ October 2009. Not yet sure.
Peoples : same than 2008 + new one (Andi, Mathias, Luka, etc...)

The usual question (:=))) : KDE-ev can sponsorship this event ?

Best

Gilles

PS: to others developers : please don't hesitate to respond in this
thread if i forget something... Thanks in advance