[Digikam-devel] Digikam/KIPI-Plugins icons packaging

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Tue Mar 17 11:31:26 GMT 2009

On Monday 16 February 2009 19:35:56 Luka Renko wrote:
> I would like to resolve packaging issues with icons in Digikam/KIPI-Plugins
> before the first KDE4 release. Currently we have the problem that some
> icons are duplicated from Oxygen, some are updated in Digikam (while Oxygen
> shipping older version) and some are just installed to wrong location. For
> the list of all icons installed by Digikam, see [1] (paths are relative to
> /usr).
>
> I have talked with Digikam developers (Gilles) and Oxygen team (Nuno) in
> order to see how we can address this situation. The following is my
> proposed plan what to do regarding icons
>
> 1. Oxygen Icons in Digikam [2] (installed to /usr/share/icons/oxygen)
> Apps:
>   - commit both Digikam and Showfoto icon also to Oxygen (trunk and
> branches/4.2 to get it in 4.2.1 and newer)
>   - leave a copy of application icons in digikam as fallback (for other
> themes that may not provide appropriate icons). Icons should be installed
> under /usr/share/apps/digikam/icons

I'm packaging digikam 0.10 and have only now discovered this change.  I am
pretty sure that only installing app icons in appdata/icons as you propose is
incorrect, see below.

> Actions:
>   - all icons are already in KDE 4.2
>   - drop them from Digikam package as most (all?) users are expected to
> have KDE 4.2 version of Oxygen by then
>   - we expect that Digikam will depend/require Oxygen icons (from KDE 4.2)
> for 0.10.0 release (as other themes do not provide all needed icons). For
> example, on Ubuntu, digikam package already depends on kdebase-runtime,
> that depends on kde-icons-oxygen.
>
> 2. Hicolor Icons in Digikam (installed to /usr/share/icons/hicolor)
> - these are digikam specific actions and has to be installed by Digikam
> - they should be installed to /usr/share/apps/digikam/icons/hicolor
> - I was told that they might be on this location due to some KDE/Windows
> specific issue (that might be resolved with recent KDE/Windows version)

As far as I understand the part of the Hicolor section that is now missing is
to install the digikam and showfoto app icons to /usr/share/icons/hicolor.
This is necessary so that digikam users whose desktop environment does not use
Oxygen see the app icon in application launchers, window managers, etc.

I think the correct course of action is to keep copies of the app icons as
hiPX-app-[digikam|showfoto].png and install them with
kde4_install_icons($ICON_INSTALL_DIR).

Sorry this is only coming up now.

Will