[Digikam-devel] Non-destructive image editing

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 06:31:40 BST 2009

Le 15 juillet 2009 13:44, Jean-Michel Pouré<jm at poure.com> a écrit :
> Dear friends,
>
> At Kdenlive.org, we are still very impressed by showfo quality.

Thanks.

> We would
> like a solution that would allow to use showfo in conjunction with MLT.
>
> We thought of a feature that may interest you:
> non-destructive photo correction
>
> In video, Kdenlive works as such :
> * The source video is left unchanged.
> * During video editing, Kdenlive processes the video using the MLT
> syntax. The film is previewed without modifying the source.
> * Video is exported only during final rendering.

This also done like this in digiKam. Image is loaded in memory and
each action on image is stored in queue of ONG files as cache. Until
end, original is not touched, if you overwrite original of course.

But in photo management, this is not non-destructive photo editing exactly...

> One drawback of image manipulation programs like Gimp or Showfoto is
> that they modify the original image.

Until you s