[Digikam-devel] face recognition in digikam & sponsoring of face recognition

kunal ghosh kunal.t2 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 17:07:59 GMT 2009

> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/extragear/graphics/digikam/project/ImageAnnotation.odt?view=log

 Quote from above doc
"When designing a system for describing regions of an image, care
should be taken to make this system extensible to other media types,
like videos or audio files, which are already produced by today's
digital cameras. At the same time, the system should be flexible to
allow recognition of things other than faces to be added later, for
example barcodes which can be used when a catalogue of items along
with their identification numbers are photographed or scanned.
The capability for the description of regions should match those for
entire images, providing a caption, a description (in multiple
languages) and tags."

Isn't it too much to ask for in one shot ?

I do not have any experience with face recognition algorithms, but since
> you (Kunal) are working with them, it might be a good idea to test
> whether you can find an algorithm that works well with a set of real
> world photos and compare that with other projects out there (Picasa, for

would the real world photos be any different ? just an additional, though
not very easy, step
of face detection would be added.

> Another option would be to only build a face detection system, to make
> it easier for the user to find images with people, and then tag them.
> But that would probably not be as cool as automatic tagging ;-)

True , that would indeed be quite cool .

--
regards
-------

Quote:
"Ignorance is not a sin, the persistence of ignorance is"
--
"If you find a task difficult today, you'll find it difficult 10yrs later
too !"

Blog:kunalghosh.wordpress.com
Website:www.kunalghosh.net46.net
V-card:http://tinyurl.com/86qjyk