[Digikam-devel] local contrast plugin

Mikolaj Machowski mikmach at wp.pl
Fri Aug 7 16:13:09 BST 2009

Hello,

Looks like I've made injustice to new local contrast plugin in last DD. Only
later I noticed Gilles' screenshot

http://www.flickr.com/photos/digikam/3771531595/in/pool-digikam-labs

Knowing what it is about I was able to play with it a bit to some success and
it is great tool.

But I have two problems with it:

1. Name: when you google for "local contrast" you will come with *many* sites
describing one of unsharp mask techniques while this tool is much more similar
in spirit to Highlighs/Shadows tools from other programs. Even "Pseudo HDR"
nick would be better description. From WhatsThis I understand is sophisticated
implementation of Contrast Mask technique (BTW - I wonder if it would be
possible to build smart sharpening based on this plugin)

2. It is really hard to use. Only after I discovered connection with Contrast
Mask I was able to grok something but still struggle with understanding what
is what (eg. Stages?). Please, user documentation :)

m.