[Digikam-devel] Blur-Tool

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 14:56:51 BST 2009

2009/4/13 Andi Clemens <andi.clemens at gmx.net>:

> If CImg works fine here, the blur filter doesn't need to be a ThreadedFilter
> anymore... Right?

No. all filters need to use an outside thread to run. and it's yet the
case, for example with levels or curves tools.

> Andi
>
> On Monday 13 April 2009 15:47:59 Andi Clemens wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> as far as I see this, we are using a normal gaussian blur in the blur tool.
>> The problem with our own algorithm: it is damn slow.

Yes, i know the problem... Algorithm is not mine, it come from a
Bresilien mathematician. (:=)))

>> I just played around with the CImg::blur() method and it is like 20 times
>> faster, with an (at least for me) equal result.

It's a Gaussian blur like ?

>> I think we should consider using CImg (or OpenCV) in more plugins instead
>> of using or own algorithms, if it is not needed.
>> These libraries have been tested a lot and are tuned for performance.

CImg is already in digiKam core, No problem to use it.

>> What do you think?
>> I can try to patch the blur tool to see if it really makes differences.

yes, of course.

>> BTW, I try to implement an "Shadow / Highlight" imageplugin at the moment.
>> This will also use CImg.

ok

>> If we are going to use CImg in more plugins, we should add some classes to
>> DImg to easily convert between the two storage formats.

yes. Code to convert DImg <-> CImg is already in greystorationiface.cpp

>> What do you think?

Fine for me

Gilles