[Digikam-devel] Blur-Tool

Andi Clemens andi.clemens at gmx.net
Mon Apr 13 14:47:59 BST 2009

Hi,

as far as I see this, we are using a normal gaussian blur in the blur tool.
The problem with our own algorithm: it is damn slow.
I just played around with the CImg::blur() method and it is like 20 times
faster, with an (at least for me) equal result.
I think we should consider using CImg (or OpenCV) in more plugins instead of
using or own algorithms, if it is not needed.
These libraries have been tested a lot and are tuned for performance.

What do you think?
I can try to patch the blur tool to see if it really makes differences.

BTW, I try to implement an "Shadow / Highlight" imageplugin at the moment.
This will also use CImg.

If we are going to use CImg in more plugins, we should add some classes to
DImg to easily convert between the two storage formats.

What do you think?

Andi