[Digikam-devel] [Kde-imaging] libkdcraw and KDE 4.1.x

Angelo Naselli anaselli at linux.it
Sun Sep 28 13:09:17 BST 2008

Il sabato 27 settembre 2008 01:29:09 Aaron J. Seigo ha scritto:
> hi everyone =)
Hi Aaron.

> in the 4.1 branch, a set of changes was made to libkdcraw which consisted
> of a substantial rewrite of the library that caused a change in ABI and a
> change in the .so name.
>
> i assume this change was made in the 4.1 branch because people are
> developing against the 4.1 branch of kdegraphics.
>
> unfortunately, such changes in ABI and features aren't allowed in the
> stable branch after it's initial ".0" release.
>
> these change are fine, indeed welcome, in trunk/, but the changes will need
> to be reverted in the 4.1 branch.

As kipi project coodinator, apologize for that. We're new to kde core policy
and we knew that we could have made mistakes :/.

> we can always require the new version of the library for specific
> applications, and we (kdegraphics people) coul even do a release of the new
> library before 4.2 happens.
>
> before i just went off reverting things, however, i felt it was proper to
> first discuss it here (and hopefully the committer of those changes can
> revert it from the 4.1 branch themselves). 4.1.2 is due to be released
> shortly, so taking care of this in a timely fashion is important..
Who ever has done that, i believe has been pushed by distro maintainers,
since those changes were important to build digikam. Most distros, infact,
ship kde 4.1.x and they could not have digikam. In mandriva we backported
libkdcraw from trunk, so i believe others can do the same.

We could add a point to the next code sprint we're preparing, e.g. how to
get ABI unchnaged, for stable branches... maybe that requires some code
changes, not sure, maybe not.

Thanks for pointing us our mistakes, and not have reverted them silently.

	Angelo