[Digikam-devel] Interesting link about meta-data handling

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 07:59:07 BST 2008

2008/9/25 Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach at wp.pl>

> Dnia Thursday 25 of September 2008, Gilles Caulier napisał:

> > > Forgot to add probably the most important thing:
> > >
> > > This document IMO really well creates guidelines for creation of *one*
> > > frontend for all metadata formats. I remember that some time ago
> > > Gilles was very strongly against this but I hope you will reconsider
> > > you stand
> > >
> > > :)
> >
> > very strongly against ?
> >
> > I don't remember...
>
> Well, I cannot find exact URL but you wrote something like "digiKam will
> never have single frontend for all metadata".

What do you mean by a single frontend ?  a gui ?

Because about a backend, it's already done with Exiv2/libkexiv2

Currently, to change metadata behaviours, we have Metadata settings in
config panel, right side bar with Comments & tags to change something (a
litlle), and metadata edit kipi-plugin to change what you want.

I'm agree that we need to have a better factorization everywhere, but we are
limited, especially with libkipi metadata handling.

Also, i would to make a set of users config about photograph properties to
record in metadata. there is a file in B.K.O about.

But at least, libkexiv2 factorize duplicates actions to do in metadata by
kipi-plugins and digiKam.

Gilles