[Digikam-devel] Fwd: Marking the persons on pictures with Digikam

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 18:25:29 BST 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com>
Date: 2008/6/22
Subject: Re: Marking the persons on pictures with Digikam
To: Adrien BUSTANY <madcat at mymadcat.com>

2008/6/20 Adrien BUSTANY <madcat at mymadcat.com>:
> Hi,
> I've been thinking about the different ways to make Digikam "people aware",
> ie. to enable the user to tell Digikam who's on the picture.
> Gilles is not sure kipi is the way to go, since the database access is quite
> limited if we go that way.
> We could enhance kipi to give a broader access to
> the database, but it'd add some constraints about the database for the other
> programs which use kipi.

yes. We will certainly improved libkipi in the future, certainly
during coding sprint planed for october.

But for the moment, libkipi is not the right way.

Another problem is than all kipi host do not have the same DB schema.
we need a common way to deal with metadata hosted (I think than
something like XMP syntax will be fine). But this is not yet the right
time to do it (:=)))

> Anyway, whatever the way wo do it, we have to think about the storage part.
> My proposition is to add a new table to the database, named "people" or
> something like that. It wouldn't break the compatibility with other versions

no, because digiKam for KDE4 is not yet released and DB schema is
already very improved against KDE3 version. This is not a problem to
adjust some table in current DB devel version. But we will release the
first digiKam 0.10.0 beta 1 during july. So, if something need to be
done, it's now. after i recommend to not change DB schema anymore
until 0.10.0 final release, to prevent any problems between beta
releases.

> : recent versions will just have to check and add the table if it's missing,
> older versions will ignore it.

I think we can deal with i easily. Marcel has added a version
interface for DB schema.

> The structure and usage of the table would be very similar to the ones of
> the "tags" database (without the hierarchy part). We need a unique id, and
> either a name or a uid which identifies the person in KDE's address book.
> Akonadi is a central storage in KDE 4 for PIM information, and we could use
> it. However, it add a dependency on Akonadi. To compensate that we could
> make this feature an option, as for geolocalisation.

I think you haven't take a look into the right DB schema from the
current svn implementation. take a look here :

http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/extragear/graphics/digikam/DBSCHEMA.ODS?view=log

Look like all Geoocation info are already included here in Images table.

If people informations need to be add somewhere, it can be hosted in
this table. Marcel your viewpoint ?

To resume peoples informations to host, see below:

- A region (rectangle) in image where a guy can be see
- First Name  of guy
- Second Name of guy
- A link to nepomuk (what exaclty ?)
- Something else ?