[Digikam-devel] Fwd: PNG and JPEG-2000 writting mode

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 14:08:18 BST 2008

2008/7/27 Gerhard Kulzer <gerhardkgmx at gmail.com>:
> On Sunday 27 July 2008 12:19:08 Gilles Caulier wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>

>> I'm back from hollidays. Please see below my message sent to Exiv2
>
>> mailing list, and let's me hear your feedback.
>

>> Note : look my blog entry for details :
>
>> http://www.digikam.org/drupal/node/361
>

>> Best
>

>> Gilles Caulier
>
> Oh Gilles, you are fantastic again, I've been waiting so long for png
> writing mode! Sometimes a little restriction in bandwidth makes one
> concentrate on more essential stuff.
>
> Thanks very very much
>
> Gerhard

And now, JPEG2000 wrtting mode support is fully implemented with this commit :

http://dev.robotbattle.com/cmtinfo_svn.php?r=10&l=50&v=1548

Please let's me hear your feedback. thanks in advance.

Gilles Caulier

Nota: to resume, using Exiv2 0.18 with digiKam, you will be able to
read/writte these metadata on fly :

JPEG:        Comment:R/W     Exif : R/W      Iptc: R/W   Xmp:R/W
PNG:          Comment:R/W     Exif : R/W      Iptc: R/W   Xmp:R/W
TIFF/DNG:  Comment:None    Exif : R/W      Iptc: R/W   Xmp:R/W
JPEG2000: Comment:None    Exif : R/W      Iptc: R/W   Xmp:R/W

I remember you that PNG, TIFF, JPEG2000 support color management, 16
bits color depth and loss less image data compression. You can use
your prefered file format to store your converted RAW image data
_without_ lack your camera metadata !

Nota2: the next important stage for me to deal with Exiv2 code is to be able to:

- writte metadata to TIFF based RAW file format (as NEF or CR2 for ex.)
- writte metadata

Best