[Digikam-devel] OpenGL support?

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Sat Jul 26 18:41:02 BST 2008

> The question is do we really need those side bars in the lighttable? If I
> open both of them, I can't even see my images with a 1024x768 resolution
> anymore. The sidebars are wasting too much space.

You can hide the sidebars - I would assume they are hidden by default (?).
That the minimum size of the sidebars is currently so large is a problem. I
have not yet tested out which widget is the limiting factor.

> Second question: If the sidebars are really necessary, can't we use the
> marble widgets from the main window somehow?
> They should already be initialized. So when switching windows (main window,
> light table) the instances of the marble widgets are refreshed by the
> current view and current selected image.

I suspect that from within Marble there is a good potential to optimize for
applications with more than one instance of the widget. Judging from the
debug messages, loading plugins, cache files and parsing data files is done
each time again.

> Or wouldn't it be even possible to initialize the light table on startup
> (and the two other marble widgets), so that using it for the first time
> will start it faster?
> The light table window is kept when used once, so we could also initialize
> it anyway when digiKam is starting up?

Users who never use the lighttable will endure a longer startup time and more
memory footprint then.