[Digikam-devel] visual indication of active filters?

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 15:50:34 GMT 2008

2008/1/31, Gerhard Kulzer <gerhardkgmx at gmail.com>:

> On Thursday 31 January 2008 Gilles Caulier wrote:

> ==>

> code

> | Red color is to indicate than something is wrong, dangerous, etc...
> |
> | This is not the case here. Is just to ping user than filters are active.
> | Orange is better for that... But it's just my viewpoint...
> |
> | Mik, Gerhard ?
>
> Orange
>
> | > "If this light is orange, something is active in filter settings. "

> | > yes, this is what i mean...

> | All mouse buttons are tested now...
> |

> | yes, i will do it
> |
> | >   --> "Click to reset all filters." ?
> | >

> | > exactly...
> | >

> | > What about tag-filters ;-) ?
> | >

> | > Nothing here. LED is about  filters from status bar not sidebar.
> | >
> | > As we have talk in the pass, to be homogeneous, we must think to move
> all
> | > icon view filters in a common sidebar tab named "Filters" instead
> "Tags
> | > Filters"... but by this way, icon view filter from status bar will
> only
> | > visible if sidebar tab is open...
> | >
> | > Using a tool bar here do not solve the problem. The idea is to group
> all
> | > filters together : tags, text, mime type, and rating. The only way to
> | > host all tags filter is a sidebar tab, not a toolbar...
> | >
> | > Also, remember than status bar is full now. In the future, if we need
> | > add new filter based on date, ratio, size, etc... we will need to find
> | > another way than status bar or tool-bar to host it. This is why
> sidebar
> | > tab is the most fine.
> | >
> | > Discussion is open. It's an usability + gui design issue. It's
> important
> | > for the future to be clean about this subject.
> |
> | After to have played with Tags Filters, I think wee need to be
> homogeneous
> | here again. The LED must indicate than icon view if filtered, including
> | Tags Filters... else this is a non-sense...
> |
> | also if click over LED is done, it must reset Tags Filters too...
> |
> | Your viewpoints ?
>
> Now the LED and text background have different color (green/white when
> inactive, orange/green or orange/red if no match). One gets used to it,
> but
> it is not consistent.
>
> Proposal: inactive:green/green match:orange/orange no match:red/red

I'm not sure to understand exactly your proposal...

Let's me resume :

- Search Text widget colorize background of text field in green if query is
match else in red.

- Led function is different : it's an indicator to ping user if filter is
active or not over icon view... that all. It do not report if filtering
match something in icon view. We don't need that : just look if something
appear in icon view, it's enough...

Unforget than filtering can perturb user if it's active. If user don't take
a care about filtering status, he can see a dummy empty album where items
are really on the way...