[Digikam-devel] visual indication of active filters?

Mikolaj Machowski mikmach at wp.pl
Fri Feb 1 20:54:36 GMT 2008

Dnia Friday 01 of February 2008, Gilles Caulier napisał:
> 2008/2/1, Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach at wp.pl>:
> > Dnia Friday 01 of February 2008, Gilles Caulier napisał:
> > > Red color is to indicate than something is wrong, dangerous, etc...
> > >
> > > This is not the case here. Is just to ping user than filters are
> > > active. Orange is better for that... But it's just my viewpoint...
> > >
> > > Mik, Gerhard ?
> >
> > Nice idea. Few ideas for improvements.
> >
> > 1. Visual: lack of left-, top-margins looks ugly. LED should be
> > centered in status bar.
>
> Ah, i'm happy to read these word. This is you Mik (:=)))
>
> Yes, the widget is not centered... And this is not my fault. The widget
> come from kdelibs and this is another one badly implemented. The widget
> drawing method always use the top/left corner as reference. Content is
> never centered like an usual widget...

During years of observing of other computer users I noticed one really
strange thing (I am not sarcastic or ironic here, this is  really
strange for me). Application may be stripped from features, may crash
each five minutes, may even have terrible usability but if it has pretty
interface, widgets placed perfectly to last pixel people will use it
"because it is good looking". This works the other way: if application
looks bad, misplaced widgets, not native interface, not common
interface, etc users will never feel comfortable with it. Each mishap
- even obviously caused with PEBKAC - will be always placed on "that
strange program".

So, I am always trying to point deficiencies in that arena.

m.