[Digikam-devel] Big, very big previews

Mikolaj Machowski mikmach at wp.pl
Mon Dec 8 18:45:03 GMT 2008

Dnia Monday 08 December 2008, Arnd Baecker napisaƂ:
> On Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Pau [utf-8] Ru?^@lan Ferragut wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 08:40:57AM +0100, Gilles Caulier wrote:
> > >On the bottom of this dialog, there is an option for preview mode (F3
> > > with album gui)
> >
> > I found the option, but it is not my point. I would like this:
> > http://bulma.net/~paurullan/stuff/digikam-mockup.png
>
> ((I just removed Gilles reply, so I am answering to this one))
>
> While 256x256 is a good choice for cache reasons,
> there should be no principle difficulty to increase this
> to 512x512 (or even to 1024x1024 if the machine is fast enough).
> But (and that's a pretty big "but"): the thumnails are stored in
> ~/.thumbnails/large and the freedesktop thumbnail standard
> is 256x256 for this. So increasing this would break this.
> Moreover, this will lead to quite a bit of disk space usage
> in this directory...

Size of .thumbnails dir is result of storing of thumbnails in PNG
format. JPG of similar size are 10% of PNG weight.

Even without breaking with .thumbnails standard it should be possible to
increase thumbnails size in Album GUI to 384px without losing much due
to quality of Qt zooming. Blowing up thumbs 200% is too much but 150% is
handled OK.

m.

ps. The last traceable version of .thumbnails standard was released in
    September of 2004: from this time mean RAM size doubled at least and
    HDD capacity skyrocketed...