[Digikam-devel] compile problems for digikam

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Sat Apr 26 14:56:23 BST 2008

Am Samstag 26 April 2008 schrieb Arnd Baecker:
> Hi,
>
> it seems that people really struggle hard installing digikam from svn.
> This is, from my point of view, a substantial problem,
> preventing possible contributors from even getting started.
> It also prevents people from trying out current svn to
> see if bugs got fixed; many just wait until
> packages exist for their system ...
>
> Most likely, there are many users which tried, failed,
> and never reported back to us!
>
> Needless to say, that such problems have wasted
> already several hours, both on the users side and
> on the side of the digikam team .... ;-)
>
> Gilles, Marcel and everyone else:
> is there something which can be done to improve the situation?
>
> The main problems which seem to occur are
> (Not that the following is not written with any understanding/knowledge,
> but just an attempt at a summary):
> A) Different libexiv2 on the system seem to cause problems.
>    I just don't understand why?
>    If they are at separate places, and the paths are
>    set correctly, this should do no harm at all.

There is always a hundred reasons why compiler search paths, linker paths, and
the dynamic linker may look at different places. It's so difficult to fix
even if you sit in front of the machine, so we usually take the uninstall +
reinstall path. Bad if there are leftovers somewhere.

> B) The same with kexiv2, kdcraw, it seems
>    (not sure about libkipi, kipi-plugins)?
> C) kioslave might not always be updated
>    (i.e. kdeinit or kbuildsycoca  might be needed)

For kioslaves (looking at the problem Andi Clemens had):
First thing is that a make install is definitely needed.
After all still running instances of ioslaves have shut down, which they
usually do after a short time, the new libraries take effect.
But output is always directed to the console of kdeinit. This means in my KDE3
environment, this is the file ~/.xsession-errors. If you restart kdeinit from
a console, it's your console.