[Digikam-devel] compile problems for digikam

Achim Bohnet ach at mpe.mpg.de
Sat Apr 26 10:35:33 BST 2008

On Saturday, 26. April 2008, Gilles Caulier wrote:
> 2008/4/26 Arnd Baecker <arnd.baecker at web.de>:
> > Hi,
> >
> >  it seems that people really struggle hard installing digikam from svn.
> >  This is, from my point of view, a substantial problem,
> >  preventing possible contributors from even getting started.
> >  It also prevents people from trying out current svn to
> >  see if bugs got fixed; many just wait until
> >  packages exist for their system ...
> >
> >  Most likely, there are many users which tried, failed,
> >  and never reported back to us!
> >
> >  Needless to say, that such problems have wasted
> >  already several hours, both on the users side and
> >  on the side of the digikam team .... ;-)
> >
> >  Gilles, Marcel and everyone else:
> >  is there something which can be done to improve the situation?
> >
> >  The main problems which seem to occur are
> >  (Not that the following is not written with any understanding/knowledge,
> >  but just an attempt at a summary):
> >  A) Different libexiv2 on the system seem to cause problems.
> >    I just don't understand why?
> >    If they are at separate places, and the paths are
> >    set correctly, this should do no harm at all.
>
> Exiv2 0.14 has switched to libtool's -version-info versioning system.
>
> I recommend to always use Exiv2 >= 0.14, else mixing a recent release
> and a older one < 0.14 will introduce dysfunction.
>
> It still other way to fix in Exiv2, to improve binary compatibility
> for ex, using 'd' private internal classes for all private member. But
> it's a huge work to do.

As explained below it really worth not breaking ABI ;)

>  >  B) The same with kexiv2, kdcraw, it seems
> >    (not sure about libkipi, kipi-plugins)?
>
> There is no reason for kipi-plugins. it's not a shared lib.

I disagree ;)  In my, maybe a bit outdated experience, in most problem
with library mismatch crashes kipi-plugins are involed.

The problem if kipi-plugins uses lib<foo>.so.<M>  all apps using
kipi-plugins: digikam, gwenview, kphotoalbum ...  should be linked
against same version <M>.  As soon as an apps uses a different version,
e.g, <N>,  two not ABI compatible version of a library are loaded
into memory ==> crash.

As digikam svn relies very often of very recent, often svn version
of libaries. So new libs with changed API are used by digikam from svn.
==> trouble for the uninitialed ;)

> For kexiv2, kdcraw, kipi, it certainly an auto-tools issue.
>
> >  C) kioslave might not always be updated
> >    (i.e. kdeinit or kbuildsycoca  might be needed)

Yeah, right.  But I have to admin I never really understood
why.   E.g. for .desktop files, KDED monitors the locations
an updates the syscocadb.  As this problem happens also with
other KDE apps it would be nice to understand what goes wrong.

Achim