[Digikam-devel] Something interesting.

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Apr 7 17:16:35 BST 2008

Angelo Naselli wrote:
> venerdì 21 marzo 2008 alle 20:58, Colin Guthrie ha scritto:
>> Hi,
> Hi,
> argh! I should have missed this mail :(
>> I don't know if you remember but a while ago, after Akademy IIRC, I
>> mentioned Nepomuk and how it could be used in Digikam and more widely in
>> KIPI.
> Yes, and you opened a wiki page for that iirc.
>
>> Personally, I think a lot of what KIPI does, could be implemented within
>> the Nepomuk structure. It's perhaps too big a change, but it does
>> provide a kind of framework for exchanging information between
>> applications. It's something I've been wondering about for a while in
>> relation to sync stuff, but I've not had much time to look into it properly.
>>
>> But I noticed a post on the Amarok mail list that shows what one SoC
>> participant wants to do with Amarok.
>>
>> http://www2.truman.edu/%7Ekde185/kyle_nepomuk_gsoc.pdf
>>
>> Perhaps it's worth reading up about Nepomuk? I'm going to try and find
>> time to this in more depth myself but would appreciate others' opinions too.
> Col, if you can spend time to have a look at that and give us a brief way to...
> i will be happy to contribute and see if we can use/apply that :)
>
> Frankly i couldn't be able to look into it properly as well :/
>
> KIPI needs to have fresh ideas and maybe new helping people...
>
> Angelo (who's very busy at the moment)

I've a confession to make..... I spoke with Gilles on IRC when my shame
was laid bare!!

I got the project name wrong (which shows how much reasearch I've really
done!)

I was looking at Nepomuk for other things and the name stuck, but the
system that I thought would be good for Digikam/KIPI was actually Akonadi.

See here:
http://pim.kde.org/akonadi/

I need to do more reasearch on this to fully appreciate whether it would
be wise to do this. But in principle it's a nice approach and could make
for a very nice architecture... It wont be fully ready for a little
while yet, so we may need to do something else before hand anyway.

Col