[Digikam-devel] Exiv2 .configure report panel...

Andreas Huggel ahuggel at gmx.net
Fri Oct 12 12:22:13 BST 2007

On Thursday 11 October 2007, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Andreas Huggel wrote:
> > On Wednesday 10 October 2007, Gilles Caulier wrote:
> >> But can you give us more info about "Nikon lens database" and
> >> "Conversion of Windows XP tags" options ?
> >
> > It just summarizes the most common options that can be controlled
> > with command-line args. The two options that you highlighted need
> > to be disabled in the commercial version
>
> begs question: why?
> Licensing?  Patents?  Other silliness?
>
> -- Rex

I also distribute Exiv2 under a commercial license which allows
customers to include it in their proprietary software.
The Nikon lens database was contributed explicitely under the condition
that it should only be used in the open source version.
As for the XP tags conversion, that is a tiny feature which uses iconv
and just to avoid any potential long-winded discussions about LGPL and
proprietary software, I request that it's disabled as well.
And to complete the picture, i18n is also disabled in this version. I
don't own the copyright of most of the translations.
(See the README file for detailed insructions)