[Digikam-devel] Raw images are not converted into 16bit?

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sun May 6 13:14:51 BST 2007

2007/5/6, Heiner Lamprecht <heiner at heiner-lamprecht.net>:

> On Sonntag, 6. Mai 2007, Gilles Caulier wrote:
> > I suspect a cache management problem in your computer. try to
> > change this setting and restart digiKam just after and try agin
> > to load the image.
> >
> > In the Color sidebar, under the histogram, you have the color
> > depth indication
>
> When I open the raw image in image editor, it is displayed as 16bit,
> but very very dark.  When I choose "Raw Image Converter", it always
> converts to 8bit, regardless what I have configured in the
> settings, and how often I have restarted digikam after changing the
> settings.

Ah ok, i understand now...

RAW converter is a kipi-plugin witch only support 8 bits color depth. 16
bits color depth with RAW file require Color management to run properly. In
8 bits an auto-gamma correction is done by dcraw, not in 16 bits (the image
is converter in linear mode).

This is why the image is dark in 16 bits mode. You must use a color profile
adapted for you camera to import properlly the RAW pictures with dcraw.

Look into Nicolas Vilard blogs entries for more details :

http://linux.vilars.com/dotclear/index.php?2007/01/03/6-color-management-workflow-using-digikam
http://linux.vilars.com/dotclear/index.php?2007/01/08/8-io-files-settings-advanced-options-how-to-get-the-most-out-of-your-pictures

Gilles

    Heiner