[Digikam-devel] To Translators : merging DigikamImagePlugins to digiKam...

Oliver oliver at doerr-privat.de
Tue Mar 20 17:07:43 GMT 2007

Gilles Caulier schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> If you have follow my recent commits to svn about next 0.9.2 release,
> i have started to merge some duplicate editor tools into one and moved
> it into digiKam. This is require about to solve some usability issues
> in editor.
>
> The tools currently moved are :
>
> - Blowup plugin merged with Image Editor Resize tool (digiKam core).
> - Refocus, Unsharp Mask merged with Image Editor Sharpen tool (core
> image plugin)
>
> About translations, this is want mean than blowup, refocus, unsharp
> mask plugins translations file are obsolete in svn.
>
> Note than all i18n strings from these tools are unchanged. You can
> backport all strings translated from old plugins .po files to digikam.po.
>
> I have planed to move all DigikamImagePlugins implementation to
> digiKam. The tools will be always available like a pliugins, but we
> will have only one .po file for all tools : digikam.po.
>
> The advantages are listed below :
>
> - One file to translate.
> - Duplicate i18n will be merged to one reference in .po.
> - One package to build for each release : digikam.
> - Image Editor plugins will be always available by default. no need to
> install a separate package.
>
> Also, when the plugins implementation will be moved to digiKam, i will
> polish the code to prepare QT4 port (for later of course)...
>
> The disavantage to merge DigikamImagePlugins to digiKam is for
> translators : there are a lots of job to do about to manage/backport
> old translations to digiKam core.
>
> Well my question is simple : what do you think about to process
> merging for 0.9.2 release ?
>
> Fabien, Oliver, and others digiKam translators, please let's me hear
> your viewpoints... Thanks in advance.
It sound like pure horror to me. From my experience i have to re-read
all fuzzies before accepting them. Just as an example the copying from
the docbook from trunk to stable and the confusion that started with
that gave me plenty of fuzzies and untranslated for a docbook there
every single string was translated. (Both, trunk and stable were
complete translated a  week after the 0.9.1 release).

http://l10n.kde.org/stats/gui/stable/de/extragear-graphics/index.php

So this merge will cost me hours and hours of my freetime. Due to the
new single file, nobody will be able to help me.

So from my point of view -> perhaps we will get a translated gui for
digikam, but there is only litlle chance that any of other projects like
exiv2 will be transalated for the next release. So if you must to do
this, do it now and give us a real extralong string freeze. Normally
string freezes for digikam are not real. Even in string freeze we get
one or two changes per day.

Sorry
Oliver