[Digikam-devel] Prepare the future : merging digiKam and DigikamImagePlugins

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 08:00:13 GMT 2007

Ah, i'm waiting a question about a native Win32 port. well, i can said than
this is possibe to do since QT4 and KDE4 are ported to win32 (:=)))

Of course, we need to compile digiKam and co under win32 and see if all is
ok... I'm very curious to see digiKam running out of Linux, and not only
under Win32, but also MacOS X, an OS used by pro-photograph...

Marcel, since a long time, i'm checking all the code to see where we have
pure linux depencies

- In digiKam, we have some X11 API call to checked if CTRL or SHIFT keys are
pressed during D&D. I don't know why this way have been used by Renchi
instead to use QT API. This point must be fixed for 0.9.2

- In digiKam, we need to check how the color Theme core is implemented to be
sure if it's portable.

- i'm not sure if LCMS library canbe compiled under Win32. Paco, can you
confirm it ?

There is no problem to port DigikamImagePlugins, libkipi, libkexiv2, and
libkdcraw.

In Kipi-plugins, imlib2 library use a pure X11 depency to run. This one is
always used in SlideShow plugin. There is no advantage to continue to use
it, to only cache pictures loading in memory (imlib2 is not used in this
plugin to render image on screen if i remember). The solution is simple :
remove imlib2 depency and use the same QT cache mechanism like it's used in
the recent OPENGL viewer plugin. Angelo, Valerio, perhaps a common of QT
cache mechanism in kipi-plugins/common place will be fine.

Gilles