[Digikam-devel] Prepare the future : merging digiKam and DigikamImagePlugins

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Thu Mar 1 22:05:17 GMT 2007

> yes, but i won't to fight with an hard installation of KDE 4 on my
> computer. If Mandriva provide standard packages, it will be more easy to
> do...

Yes if Mandriva provides developer packages in time? There is no official
release of KDE4 yet, only snapshots. And you need Qt4.3 - not yet released,
so you need qt-copy.
There is also mentioned the possibility to do a non-root installation of KDE4.
Perhaps in the next or the following week I will try to install a fresh KDE4
and then I will tell you about my experience ;-)

> > > improve anything. Marcel, i need your viewpoint here...
> >
> > Yes multithreading is easier with Qt4, but that's not a problem for
> > porting,
> > the code still works, it means we can actually remove code (and I will
> > very
> > happily volunteer to remove all the manual event sending code,
> > QDeepCopies of
> > QStrings from our multithreaded parts).
>
> Fine for me if you can do it (:=)))

Oh yes. I am really looking forward to delete some parts of the code and
replace it with queued signals ;-) That's fun ;-))

> > Overall KDE policy is clear: trunk is KDE4 because it's the future.
> > Branches
> > are KDE3. Amarok also has its KDE4 = main development branch as trunk.
>
> This is true about KDE core, but extragear is different and do not follow
> KDE release plan...
>
> The problem is than extragear host multiple project witch will use QT3 for
> a long time.
>
> Question : where Amarok team have placed the QT4 port source code ? It's
> Amarok is moved to KDE core (like Gwenview) ?

http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/extragear/multimedia/amarok/ :
There is a CMakeLists.txt, and the code is Qt4. All Makefile.* are removed.
In the parent directory http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/extragear/multimedia/
there is also a CMakeLists.txt, and still a Makefile.cvs.

> If i'm following you, after to release digiKam 0.9.1-final, we copy the
> code
>
> >from trunk to stable, and we continue the QT3 digiKam serie in stable, and
>
> in trunk, we start the QT4 port. In this case, we will have a conflict with
> others extragear applications witch continue to use QT3. In fact, the
> problem is about the common autotools rules (.configure and makefile.am)
> witch are obsolete with CMake. Can we have both at the same time and at the
> same place ?

We have to talk to the other extragear applications about the location of the
libraries that we share.
Again taking extragear/multimedia as an example, amarok/ is Qt4, while
kmplayer/ is apparently not yet ported. So it seems to work. (I still have to
read the documentation on CMake)

Marcel