[Digikam-devel] Prepare the future : merging digiKam and DigikamImagePlugins

F.J.Cruz francisco.jct at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 15:27:02 GMT 2007

El Jueves, 1 de Marzo de 2007, Gerhard Kulzer escribió:
> Am Thursday 01 March 2007 schrieb Arnd Baecker:
> > On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Fabien wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > I guess that when you will start to port digiKam to QT4, there will be
> > > a feature freeze for around 1 year, the time to change the source code
> > > and to stabilize the new version, isn't it ?
> >
> > If this would really freeze feature additions for one year,
> > I would also like to add a few wishes before that ;-)
> > (OTOH, Gilles is so fast, so maybe the freeze would much shorter ;-0)
>
> As someone who can (probably) not contribute to this migration I still
> would like to inject my opinion. A 1 year feature freeze will put-off
> everyone, first you, the developers, and than our users. It's too long a
> stretch of time.
>
> We should ask for help (even if we might not get any,
> because everyone active is in the same busy boat), and cut it into pieces
> like that:
> - As Gilles proposed, convert the libraries first
> - then the digikam core
> - add features when deemed juicy to qt3 at any time, interrupting migration
> - migrate the plugins one by one
> - migrate kipis, and there export at first (here we have other developers)
>
> I also think that experience and know-how with migration will grow rapidly
> everywhere, in particular in amarok which has to deal with threading as
> much as we have to. With the result that it will not take 1 year. I
> definitely hope so.
>
> Gerhard

I agree with Gilles about to merge both digiKam and digikamImagePlugins in one
and only package, there is no reason to have two separate projects now.

About migration to QT4 I think Gerhard makes a good proposition, this could be
a good start point to work on a time line to get it.

What's about some features like non-destructive edition, light table, and
so...?

Paco Cruz