[Digikam-devel] XMP metadata and GPS support

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 10:22:36 BST 2007

2007/6/19, Mikael Lammentausta <mikael.lammentausta at gmail.com>:

> Our team needs to tag images with XMP data (freely named fields as this
> scheme supports that), as well as insert GPS location information into
> photos. I love digiKam and as we otherwise use the program to manipulate the
> photos, it would make sense to use to use the same program for these
> purposes as well.
>
> I've noticed that on the basis of the poll on the digiKam website, XMP
> metadata support is a wanted feature. Also, KIPI-plugins contains a GPS-sync
> module. Now, the question is, what's the schedule, who's working on them,
> and how can we help? :)
>
> These two are quite a big features, and I'll tell more about what I have
> in mind if this sparks interest. A simple XMP reader would be the first
> thing to do, I believe. I've done a simple Perl script with ExifTool that
> does read/write, and AFAIK that is the only open source tool that currently
> supports XMP.

No. digiKam & co are C++ project. We use Exiv2 to handle metadata because is
a pure C++ library.

Of course Exiftools is great program, but it's Perl stuff... This is a non
sence to mix C++ and PERL.

Tell me if I'm wrong. For GPS, we'd need to insert the WGS84 coordinates
> into the XMP/EXIF tags

digiKam and kipi-plugins already handle EXIF GPS tags. This is a standard
way. Of course, we can _duplicate_ all GPS informations in XMP, but we will
do it in libkexiv2 as well.

Note : i hate to see duplicate information in metadata. This can give
inconsistent contents... But this is mandatory for interoperability.

, and I believe this would be rather simple using the Google Maps backend
> service and GPS-sync already does.
>
> Our team doesn't include experienced C++ programmers, but nonetheless we
> will start hacking the code if someone could offer a bit hand-holding and
> tell us where to start. Compiling from the trunk etc is not a problem.

look my other message in this thread to guide you...