[Digikam-devel] About version numbering schema

Mikolaj Machowski mikmach at wp.pl
Sat Jun 16 00:07:24 BST 2007

Dnia sobota 16 czerwiec 2007, Gilles Caulier napisaƂ:
> 2007/6/15, Fabien <fabien.ubuntu at gmail.com>:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I sent an email about that a few days ago, see here :
> > http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/digikam-devel/2007-June/012932.html
> >
> > <<
> > Don't you think it's time to use a new version numbering schema ?
> > I think digiKam has reached its stability point.
> > For most people, when you see a 0.9.x version, it means the software
> > is quite close to a stable 1.0 version.
> > Using version 0.10 let digiKam looks as an immature software that
> > lacks reliability and features. And I definitively think it's not the
> > case !
>
> this is not my viewpoint, but i'm developper. For me these features are
> important for photograph :

With this attitude there will be always new things to include :)

> XMP is not yet supported.

Make it really simple (as newest XnView): just let read unsolved XML in
separate tab.

> No batch Queue manager.

Wait for KDE4 and promised tools for recording (although I didn't read
anything new about them lately).

> No search based on advanced metadata.
> No DB/pictures backup/restore tool.
> No versionning of pictures.

That is big feature. Implementing it properly may take really long
time...

You know, from myself I could add several points:

- multiuser, networked database for work eg. in small photo agency
- support for archiving on various media (in Digikam store only
  thumbnails with localizations of real images)
- scripting backend for more automation and better user expandability
- service menus support
- CD/DVD cover printing (both thumbnails and extended descriptions,
  basing on metadata, Digikam comments)
- spread collection (not in one directory)
- file system browsing
- improved cropping (handling of borders, including rotation)
- non reducting rotation

:)

m.